As much as we all need water to live, we also need food.
When we say we serve the food industry, we in fact cater to the many sub-industries that specialize in different types of food processing and packaging. These include dairy, meat, poultry and fish and shellfish processing, as well as fruit and vegetables, and every type and combination of foodstuffs that are frozen, canned, bottled, salted or preserved in brine, as well as dry food products that are boxed and bagged. And it isn’t just the prepared food industry we deal with, fresh foods also have to be processed and packaged for distribution.
Food Processing Regulations
The US Food & Drug Administration (FDA) regulates all food produced for sale, except for poultry, meat and some processed egg products which are regulated by the US Department of Agriculture (USDA). The FDA does not regulate retail food businesses including restaurants, grocery stores and farmers markets that are regulated by local and state governments.
Unless facilities are specifically exempted, any US business that manufactures, processes, packs or holds food for human or animal consumption has to be registered with the FDA. Food manufacturers and processors, as well as distributors must ensure all food products are safe and sanitary, and labeled in terms of FDA requirements.
Used Equipment for Food Processing and Packaging
All the equipment used for processing food must be safe, reliable and of a high quality to ensure there is no contamination.
The FDA also regulates equipment and the materials used to make food-processing equipment, including surfaces that come into contact with food. Some materials including cast iron, copper and galvanized metal have limitations, which is why so many of our tanks and other types of equipment are made from high quality 316- and 304-grade stainless steel.
Certain types of food processing equipment require the use of special formulations. For instance, there are regulations to make equipment “sanitary-dairy compliant” so that the foodstuffs processed have a lower level of contamination risk and so allow a longer shelf life.
The equipment SMB Sales has available in our inventory at any one time is as varied as can be.
We always have stainless steel tanks in stock, including:
- High quality 316 tanks for processing, mixing and storing food.
- Agitated mixing tanks of varying designs and sizes.
- Insulated tanks, including very big silos that are invaluable to the food industry.
- Jacketed mixing tanks for various applications including fruit mixing, chocolate making, and storage of low-acid food products.
- Jacketed process tanks that are used to control temperatures during food processing.
- Kettles that are made for cooking as well as cook-chill production of food.
- Pressure tanks designed for the food and beverage as well as dairy industries.
- Product storage tanks suitable for a wide range of foodstuffs from dairy products to chocolate.
Examples of used food processing equipment we stock include:
- Stainless steel tea brewing systems.
- Harvest wash conveyor systems for washing and scrubbing fruit and vegetables.
- Cutters suitable for processing fruit and vegetables, including potatoes for French fries.
- Choppers for a range of different food products.
- Bulk and other cookers.
- Automated food skewering systems suitable for a range of different foods including meat and vegetables, fruit and cheese.
- Jacketed stainless steel cheese vats.
- Stainless steel vacuumizers for producing hot dogs
Examples of used food packaging equipment we stock include:
- Rigid Container handling – Depalletizers, Conveyors, labeling systems, packers, shrinkwrappers, and Palletizers
If we don’t have specific equipment items in our inventory right now, we will do our best to find what you need.
SMB Machinery Proudly Serves: